Well it came, my waiting has paid off, and now I have three months to enjoy the sights and sounds of the indomitable United States of America. Unfortunately for us Aussies, this opportunity comes with a certain unavoidable trial. TRANSIT. With the US being a whopping 15,000 Kilometres away it's no wonder that my parents opted for a less direct path; a 24 hour layover in Honolulu, and I was not complaining.
We boarded our flight from Sydney at 9pm Tuesday 4th March. This is an awesome time to travel. Not only did it mean we had all day to finalise packing, we also were ready to sleep as the plane took off. I was lucky enough to score a window seat which I promptly used to build my own little sleeping fort. My dad thinks I'm crazy; I always bring my own travel blanket and pillow. I know they provide these on long flights, but I'm sure you'll all agree the more pillows and blankets, the better your fort will be.
Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride
Hawaii. I've only ever been here for extended layovers but I will say this much. I can see why Adam Sandler films so many movies here. It is paradise. Of course there are other perks beside the lush greenery, sweeping ocean views, and the warm winters of the tropics. Being that this is a State, all the novelties of America can be found here, my favourite being a little indulgence of mine... American shopping! Old Navy and Ross being our drugs of choice. Needless to say Hawaii treated us well.
Give me a ticket for an aeroplane, ain't got time to take a fast train.
By this time, I was itching to reach Phoenix and see my Brother's family. It sucks that they live so far away, but it's nice to know that when ever we do get together, no time is wasted, it's like we've never been apart. This isn't always the case with my nephews (they're sometimes too young to remember that they love you right away) but nevertheless, I was over travelling just the same.
Moral of the story; I'm a long way from home.
No comments:
Post a Comment