Does this sound familiar…
"I'm sorry, this just isn't doing it for me anymore."
"You're breaking up with me?"
"Yeah… but don't worry, we can still be friends…"
What a load of crap. I'm ashamed to admit; I've used this lie so many times and a part of me wants it to be true. I want to believe that even though I've stopped making out with you, I still find your personality interesting enough to carry on platonic relationship with you. But the truth is, I just come to realise how boring and unfulfilling I find your conversation, and it makes me wonder how I ever got desperate enough to put up with it in the first place.
The truth is don't even try to be friends with someone after a breakup. Clearly they weren't good enough for you, so why waste any more time one them. Move on before more hurt is felt. You may be the one to initiate the breakup, but that doesn't mean you don't automatically give up your feelings for them. I still stalk my exes' Facebook pages and wallow in self pity as I watch them move on, even if the last time we spoke was in 1994. They could be a whole shed's worth of tool kit and yet a part of you will always be connected emotionally to them.
I'll admit, I am still friends with one guy that I've previously dated, but he is the exception to the rule. It has taken a lot of back and forth, on again off again, are we or aren't we, to get to this point where as he so kindly stated last week "It's nice to have a friend like you who I have no romantic attraction for." It was a little ouch to hear, but the truth is he is right. I'm not interested in pursuing him and for now this friendship thing is working out, but again I stress, EXCEPTION. NOT RULE.
Honestly, let go. Don't even bother trying to make it work as friends. Don't lie to the other person and tell them you want to be friends. It's silly. Unless you're end goal is to end up back in a relationship with them, in which case don't break up with them in the first place, ya crazy!

No comments:
Post a Comment