Tuesday, 22 September 2015

"But vanity, not love, has been my folly..."

I had the worst epiphany of my life this week...

I AM ELIZABETH BENNETT

I know most girls love imagining themselves as the heroine of Jane Austen's classic, and I may be betraying my sex in saying this, I do not enjoy Pride and Prejudice, and now I'm living it!

I keep making the mistake of judging a book by its cover. This keeps happening;

I go to a new place and watch the people around me (to be honest I love watching people)

And... I make rash judgements;

"Err that person said they are an actor but they just said that their favourite movie is the new Mad Max movie... they obviously know nothing about cinema."

"Wow she is dressed so preppy, she will never talk to me."

"Oh my goodness everything that person just said hurts my brain and makes me angry!"

I go home and talk to my parents and others, (basically anyone who will listen);

"Seriously, that person is the worst!"

The next day;

"So remember that person I was talking about yesterday, the one who I hated and was all like we will never be friends... yeah... so I am now going to name my first child after them, they are the coolest!"

I should learn, I am not an excellent judge of character. In my life so far I have trusted someone only to have them utterly destroy my faith in humanity. The people I think I will be friends with, in the end don't want to be friends with me, and yet people I swear never to give a chance to, end up being those I care most for and make life so much richer.

Any one who has talked with me about literature, knows my loathing for Jane Austen, it comes second only to my hatred of cats. My epiphany; I am both of those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment