Tuesday, 8 September 2015

Preparing a Packing List

Any one who knows me will know I have a slight soft spot towards holiday packing. Okay that might be a slight understatement. I LOVE IT. I love reading blogs about it, and preparing packing lists specific to my upcoming trips (I have two in the works at the moment), and shopping around for new travel supplies... basically I'm addicted. I figured it was probably time to dedicate a blog to my addiction.

Steps for preparing a customised packing list

1. My first step is defining the details of the trip. My trip will be 10 days, 2 long 8+hour flight, frequent intra-country travel (bus rides, train rides, and short flights), it will be mid autumn, I will be travelling with my parents and my sister, and we will have access to laundry services for the duration of the trip.

2. Define your packing style. This is an important one. I personally am of the opinion of carry-on only, no matter the length of the trip. I don't think everyone needs to do this, but I will let you know that it makes travelling so much easier. Japan is notorious for it's grasp of living compact. The hotel rooms are smaller, and so are the cars, even the shopping trolleys are tiny. Packing light and efficiently is essential for this kind of trip.
I have also recently switched over to a backpack. For this kind of trip, travelling with a backpack makes sense. When I lived in Japan, I quickly realised how inconvenient it was to drag suitcases around town, up and down staircases, and on and off trains.
In the case of packing for your own trip, these are things you should consider when defining a packing style.

3. Write out a list of what you think you might need. Don't worry about making it perfect yet. Just jot your thoughts down. I like to start writing lists 2 months out, but that's cause I'm crazy like that. A few weeks is all a normal functioning non-anxiety ridden person would probably need.

4. Editing your list. This is when I look around on some of my favourite packing blogs. Sometimes other people will have advice that you might not have even considered. My go-tos are;
Her Packing List (Great site for females who are serious about pared down packing, they also provide great trip specific tips, and reviews on many different travel products)
Travel Fashion Girl (Really fun visual site for clothes list)
I'm sorry, I don't know about packing blogs for men, mostly because I'm not a man, but I'm sure they are out there, if you find one let me know.

5. Have a practice pack. About two weeks before you go, do a ghost pack. Lay everything out on your bed with your bag next to it all. Put together what you think you will need. You may find you have too much or not enough and need to re-edit your list. This pre-pack also gives you time to go out and shop for any specific items you may need for your trip.

6. No more than a week out, check the local weather. As we all know weathermen are not the best at their jobs, but they do help when packing in case of contingencies. There may be a hurricane  predicted, or an early spring. I like to check the weather up until the day I leave, because weather can change at the drop of a hat, and you never want to be caught out wearing sandals in snow storm.

7. DON'T FORGET: Medications, and other things that are specific to your daily life and how to keep it functioning. Just because you are leaving home and trying to do it minimal, doesn't mean you have to completely go without. Little things like forgetting your slippers or your favourite tea that helps calm you down at night can make or break a holiday.

8. Remember to have fun. You're going on a holiday! It shouldn't be a stressful thing. Enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment