Friday, 20 September 2013

Resident Sicko goes to the Hospital PART 1

This is a bit of long and involved story but it deserves to be told so I'll be doing it in instalments, enjoy?

I've never been what you might call healthy, throughout school it seems I spent more time at home than actually at school, and while sometimes I was guilty of over exaggerating my symptoms to get the day off, truth is, my body and I have had an on again off again type friendship. It truly was a miracle when at 21 I passed the necessary health checks required to serve a mission for my church. (In fact that is another whole epic in itself but I digress)

Serving a mission was always a dream of mine and honestly the only one I saw coming true, so you can understand just how ecstatic I was that my body was cooperating. Well, so I thought...

Three months into my mission I had a terrible pain in my lower abdomen, and doctors found a lovely 5cm cyst on my right ovary. I thought that was painful enough, but a few days later when it burst, I knew what pain really was. And it all goes downhill from here.

The toxins in that cyst spread through my body infecting everything it touched. I suffered illness after illness with barely a days break between. Anyone who is aware of the demands of a Latter-Day Saint (Mormon) Mission will understand just how demoralising it is missing a day of that uplifting work, and my sicknesses weren't just affecting me, but also the missionaries around me. I spent nearly half of my time in Japan, lying on a futon, not much use to anyone.

At this time I received some really beautiful blessings from the Elders I served with, blessing my body to overcome its ailments, that I would once again be able to do my Heavenly Father's work. That's why when it was decided that I needed to return to Australia to receive medical attention, I was devastated. Not only did I feel like I wasn't worthy of God's miracles, but the biggest dream of my life was over far too quickly. I remember walking out of customs barely able to see through my tears and I don't think I've really ever stopped crying.

The next months to a year were hard as I struggled mind, body, and spirit through trials I never saw coming. I went to doctor after doctor trying to find answers to my health conundrum but I'll talk more about that later, right now I want to focus on my most recent medical encounter.

So introduction over, I woke up early Saturday morning (I mean 5am early which for me is highly unbelievable) with a remarkably painful ache in my abdomen. Anyone aware of my usual symptoms will tell you this happens quite a lot, however this pain was localised to the upper right hand side of my abdomen, which isn't so usual. I tried to deal with it, but by 10am I couldn't take anymore. I went to my local doctor who seemed concerned, more concerned than I was, I though it might have just been wind pain.

That cyst that I talked about comes back into play now, I have a condition called PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which kind of means I have a lot of cysts on my ovaries that cause me pain. Now I'll admit; I don't know a lot about it, but when I told my doctor about it she seemed worried that my pain might be caused by my gallbladder, because apparently they are connected, but like I said I really don't know. Any way she told me to wait 24 hours and if the nausea and pain hadn't turned into Gastro, I needed to get myself to an Emergency Room.

And that's the advice I'm going to give you, bear with me a day, and I'll have more on this tale tomorrow...

SPOILER ALERT: I ended up in the Emergency Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment